Monday, August 15, 2005

Pictures of moments gone by

Let me tell you about the story of a gurl who liked taking pictures of things and people she saw and liked. She carried a camera in her bag, even in school, and took pictures of her classmates and funny scenes and trees and cats and group photos, everyday. To the point where her friends would groan just at the mere gesture of her hands reaching into the bag for the camera, and say, ‘Jenn, enough!’

But it’s never enough for this gurl. Cos she just loved capturing moments. And also because she had an idea of capturing moments of 2 particular friends, with the hope and anticipation that she could create a scrapbook of how these 2 lovebirds met and finally walked down the aisle and present it to them as her wedding present. It was to be a gift of love from her.

Alas. The 2 lovebirds broke up. Of course her heart was shattered. Over the break-up. And it seemed her brilliant idea broke into pieces too.

But really, what this gurl wanted to inspire others to do the same. Who knows when we might need this photo or that from college, or university or working for a wedding multimedia show at the dinner?

I just returned from my uni-mate’s wedding in JB. She was also my ‘kailui’. I was the unofficial ‘kaima’. And as I sat there watching the multimedia show of her and her husband, it occurred to me that, if such a day should happen to me in this lifetime, I were so lucky, that I wouldn’t have any photos at all in my teenage years. No one ever bothered to take any of me then.

Oh sure, there were the token childhood pictures that parents took, and a few here and there in the early teens, and some taken when I was in uni and working. But in between… I have nothing. How to show chronological growing years when there are no pictures to document it?

I tried, and am still, to take care of this problem. The solution was to carry the camera around during my college years. But in my working days it grew less. Especially with the advent of digital cameras. I'm not thick-skinned enough to not feel embarrased carrying a normal camera around while everyone around me is carrying digitals and getting smaller by the minute!! I'm ashamed to be seen carrying the big bulky one still... But I hope that I can save enough for a digital camera and buy one for myself and take more photos as I go along my life. I believe that one day when I’m old and lonely, the photos willl be the only companions I’ll ever have.