Sunday, October 09, 2005

Whaddaya do?

Some people eat. Some people cry.

Some people shop. Some people sigh.

Some people smoke. Some people sleep.

Some people drive around. Some people laze about.

Some people just don’t give a damn.

Some people hurt themselves caring too much.

Some people have sex. Some people have a swim.

Some people work like hell. Workaholics the new fad.

Some people read. Some people drink. Some people do drugs.

Me? What do I do? I cook.

When I know I’m on edge and on the verge of sinking at the bottomless pit of self-pity, I need to busy my hands. And since I can’t find the nearest sushi ingredient shop, I make dessert.

Getting into that mindset, I printed the recipe I wanted to try but didn’t know when to do it from the computer and made up a list of things to buy. Turned out that I didn’t need to buy ¾ of the recipe. Thank god. So I just begged on my cousin’s benevolence to drop by the supermarket before we went out for a swim, so that I could buy pears and an apple corer.

The recipe didn’t quite turn out well. It was still pears and apricots. Just a little sweetened on the outside. But I guess the making of it allowed me to feel some sense of self-worth. If you’re interested, here’s the recipe. And if you managed to make it, please drop me an email to tell me how you managed it!!!


Pear meringue
A healthy alternative to cheesecake, but sometimes, I think cheesecakes are more soul-satisfying!!!

-4 pears
-whites of 4 eggs
-50g caster sugar
-a handful of dates (I substituted this with dried apricots - tastes good!)

1. Peel and core pears so each has a hollow centre.
2. Cook in boiling water for about 10 minutes or until cooked.
3. Drain and pat dry with paper towel.
4. Whisk egg white until soft peaks form. Slowly whisk in caster sugar until meringue mixture is stiff.
5. Stuff the hollow centres of the pears with chopped dates and plan in an ovenproof dish.
6. Cover with meringue mixture and bake at 190°C for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.


p/s I can't rhyme to save my life - notice?

~
Song of the day: 'Delicate' - Damien Rice