Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Elektra, OCD and Farewell

Elektra
Just came back from watching Elektra with my best friend A. Not bad. Jennifer Garner was very charismatic and sexy. Although I found some of the dialogue and plot threads confusing. I didn’t read this comic as a child. Something happened along the way… or rather, did not.

Note, I said ‘charismatic’. She’s not beautiful, not like Nicole Kidman or even Halle Berry. But she’s got sharp features, an intensive facial repertoire – I like her. I like her body shape too. Very lean and sexy. Too bad I can’t achieve her shape and size. Ah well.

OCD
The movie had her having OCD. I wonder if the comic had her having it. Took awhile for me to click to what it stood for – Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. She kept counting. And it reminded me that I used to do that too. Oh, okay, I still do, but it’s not ‘obsessive’, I’d like to think. More of ‘occasional’.

I used to count steps. And I liked doing it in even numbers. Stairs that were odd, must be recounted, or re-adjusted an additional flight to make it even; like 7 + 7 is 14 steps. And I would even count or measure the spacings between trees by the roadside; it used to be when my parents drove, I would look out the window and count. Now, as I drive I still find myself counting the tree spacings, and must even it out with an additional row of trees, before I cut off.

I even counted words that I or people said with my fingers, and it must even off, preferably a nice ten-word sentence. And I would repeat it in my head to ensure it was ten. I used to think that I should keep a notebook and write down immediately all the ten-word phrases that I hear or say.

Crazy gurl. I still count like that sometimes. Maybe it is ‘obsessive’ after all. Oh, dear…

Farewell
No, I’m not saying ‘goodbye’. It’s my ex-students. They’re going back to their country – Botswana. And I want to see them one last time before they return. God knows when we will meet again.

I’m trying to think of what to get as farewell presents. With a budget, as always.

My best friend A suggested namecard holders, after all, they will be working now that they have graduated.

I want something that they can remember me by, and as much as possible, to remember what I taught them, or tried to teach them. Something they can look at sometimes when they doubt, that will give them inspiration and guidance. I want it to be useful in every way it can.

I was thinking of a keychain that has a personalised engraving on it… How to compact what I hope to be a remembrance of worth into one regular sized keychain… Got to figure this out by this week.