Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I dun care about being late anymore

I used to be concerned with time. Especially when going to work. Because the traffic jams in KL are so notorious. And to keep one's sanity intact, one has to take measures.

I chose to wake up at 6am (groan) and leave the house before 7am, just so I can beat the jam and arrive at work relatively on time. Which means I'm at the office by 7.30am. I ended up sitting outside the company doors. Then when it became obvious that I was the first one usually, HR gave me a key. So I became the Door Unlocker.

Advantage: Yay! I get to surf the net early.

Disadvantage: When I am late, those who sit outside grumble.

Initially I cared. But later I didn't, cos I'm not the only one with the key. Hello! You shouldn't be coming to work at 9.30am. Especially when you're the key holder, and one of the heads. I'm not the head. I'm a small fry who doesn't want to be late and so be blackmarked and suffer at evaluation!

My fren chose to get up later at 8am, leave the house at 8.50am, and reach the office by 9am. Hmph. Easy for him. His office is 5 minutes' drive away! Bloody hell, I need to get a job that's a stone's throw from my office!

Today I arrived at work at 8.45am. Still alright. But I was stuck in a jam for an hour already. All beacuse I left the house late. Shit.

But I find I'm not concerned with going to work on time anymore. The other day I went into work at 10am because I couldn't sleep the night before, I was still tossing and turning at 2am. I knew if I got up at my usual 6am I will get a migraine almost the instant I reached the office, so I slept in, woke up at 9am, and blissfully left the house at 9.30am, reached the office carpark by 9.50am. I didn't explain to my editor why I was late, but I did mention in passing that I had to collect something in the morning from a contributor who forgot to pass to me the previous evening. I even left at sharp 5.30pm after work. Last Saturday I also went to work at 10am and left at 1pm.

Bad... I know it, but I couldn't be bothered. I'm not feeling that the company is taking care of me anymore, so why should I care about being punctual, and be concerned with management wanting to cut costs?

Things happening now in the office that makes me unhappy.

1. Hiding the real distribution amount to the public and clients.

2. Hiring staff for the obvious post, but later dumps another ex-staff's work on them, thereby forcing them to do 3-4 people's jobs at the same salary.

3. Expecting staff to not calculate with company using their weekends for work, and to be happy with only RM6 lunch compensation and RM8 dinner compensation, and don't ask for replacement leave.

4. Marketing manager taking on outside jobs and passing the work to my editor and my team to work on while she sits at her table replying nonsensical emails, sending smses and going out for late breakfasts and long lunches, and calling staff at 9pm to talk about work!

I could go on, but I'll become repeatitive. I'm in a mood.

But this morning I had my favourite popiah for breakfast, so I'm not really that cranky. *smile*