Thursday, September 23, 2004

Omens and mockerings

Travelling early in the morning on the LRT with everyone going to work is no fun at all. The sardining, the sweaty smells, the sour fragrance of the tudung* cloths, the numerous coagulating breaths. Uh-uh.

But I had a writing test for a potential job. So I suffered it all. It didn’t help that the map was misleading. It didn’t help that it was further than stated and my feet were pinched.

It didn’t help more, when I returned to my parked vehicle to find a parking surmons.

I should have stopped this morning. When I didn’t want to get out of bed. Now with the parking fine stuffed at the bottom of my bag, it burned. God knew it would probably be a $200-$300 fine. I should have known that this job was not meant for me.

Omens.

* * *

I stopped by the church again today cos I knew I would miss it on Sunday due to an event, and besides, I was on leave, so I could take my time.

Lo and behold, there sat a shiny wedding car. A wedding was going on inside.

I nearly turned around and run. I dug in my feet. Walk, you. You can do this. No biggie. You can do it.

I forced myself to go in and sit in a corner.

Mockerings.

* * *

I bought myself 2 packets of lime juice to indulge. To hell with calories.

As I sat down to kick back my heels, I heard honking that went on for ages. Alarmed, I rushed to the windows.

Lo and behold, another wedding car! Along with their entourage of familial cars, honking around the neighbourhood, bringing the bride round to the groom’s house.

Note: Red umbrellas in the sun hurt the eyes.

Mockerings.

* * *
I was on the way home after picking up my brother from work. As usual, it was a horrid jam. But I was used to it. Just listen to music and look around you. Breathe easy.

I turned my head. Lo and behold, another bloody wedding car!!! What is this? Wedding day? Isn't it bad enough that I am single and lonely? Did you want to mock me with 3 wedding cars in a span of 8 hours? And right after watching ‘A Cinderella Story’? That is so wrong.

Omens and mockerings… Life is just filled with them. I’m so sleeping early tonight.



*Note to my overseas friends, this is a cloth scarf that the Malay women of my country wear. It can stink.