Saturday, September 25, 2004

Sweet sweet baby

Today my editor brought her adopted son into the office. We were all in the office working on things for the event tomorrow and she had yet to finish her speech.

The first thing her boy Ethan said when he saw me was, ‘Thank you, Auntie Jennifer, for the mooncake,’ with a smile and squinty eyes under a blue cap.

Oh, how NOT to melt inside…

And he went on to thank Auntie Sophia for something that she gave him the last trip.

And he asked, ‘Where is Auntie Shanthi?’

“Oh, she’s gone to the warehouse, but she may come in to the office after that.” I answered.

“Oh…”

“Why, dear?”

“Bcos I want to thank her for the Spiderman toy she gave me.”

Oh….. I was a puddle…

Later, Uncle Scott asked if he wanted to meet a new friend (my marketing manager’s four year old daughter). A new friend who’s pretty (ok, he made that up since we’ve not met her before) and nice.

And what did Ethan have to say to that?

“Auntie Peishan is still pretty.”

Cries of delighted exclamation around the office.

“Who’s the prettiest, then, in this office?”

“Mama… Auntie Peishan… Auntie Sophia.”

‘Aw’s heard from number two and number three.

“Fourth is Auntie Jennifer.”

“Oh, so sweet! Thank you, dear!”

Uncle Scott stares at me with a ‘What’s there to be happy with fourth?’ look.

“I’m very happy with being number four,” I declared. “Very happy.”

“And then fifth is Auntie Shanthi,” he continued.

My heart was so touched… Such a sweet, sweet boy! And people think I’m a lunatic for wanting to adopt kids. They don’t know anything!