Wednesday, November 24, 2004

All about the heart

I started to think about a title for this blog right after dinner. I thought of calling it ‘Gloriously touched’. But then I remembered a very sad news that happened and spread like wildfire in blog world recently. I will get to that in a bit.

I’m extremely happy, but mostly touched, because I just had a surprise dinner with my ex-colleagues.

Yes, those graphic designers whom I’m complained about on my blog before. The very same graphic designers who were cold and aloof. Sc – the one who gave me nicknames like ‘Cow’, ‘Milkbar’ and ‘Barney’. Sp – the one who was very stand-offish towards me.

That was all in the past I know. It was only this year, while my editor was off on her sabbatical that I got to know them better. That I came to appreciate their humour and behaviour. That I’ve come to miss when they resigned from the company.

I just never thought that they would go about behind my back to plan a dinner, get me a present and possibly, a movie, if we all still felt like it. I never thought that the one who still calls me ‘Cow’ like an endearment (sigh) would bluff me in the morning about not being able to make it for the movie (my original plan with Sp after my Shu Uemura event) and then suddenly turn up, grinning, and holding up my present, with a cute teddy bear ‘Happy Birthday’ balloon. And his office was so far, that he had to get a colleague to drop him at the train station to catch a monorail, stop at the heart of KL – Masjid Jamek, the craziest and busiest area – and catch a cab to my office building, to ask a former colleague to drop him at the shopping mall where I was at for my event! Oh my god, I was so touched! Extremely…

They gave me a treat at this place – Italianis. Lovely food. A little pricey. But the two of them were sharing. And I was simply touched. I was so filled with this feeling after we parted that I thought I could burst. And I told myself, no, dissipate some of it, or you couldn’t take it. Then I stopped and thought, Hell no! Those two went to so much trouble, how can I not want to burst with this joy of knowing them as friends, and not marvel at how much they were willing to celebrate my birthday. No. I will not let go of this wonderful feeling. I will hug it to bed tonight. And sleep with a smile on my face. And possibly have happy dreams tonight.

Prayers and thoughts
A sad thing happened to a fellow blogger. An accident. Who needs prayers and thoughts for his recovery. And for the quick contact of his twin brother to alert him of his critical condition.

It is a very sad and sorry world we live in when accidents as such happen. Discrimination. Racism. Intolerance. I hope that we can teach our younger generation to be much more tolerant, humane, and accepting of difference. We keep forgetting that life is about the heart, the person. Not material riches or earthly things. It's about goodness, achieving it and cherishing it. No matter the gender, sexuality, skin or race.