Monday, December 13, 2004

Boycotting McDonald's

There's this 70 yr old man, who has Alzheimer's Disease, who has been missing for a week now.

Over the weekend my mom and I went rounding a few places where he was last sighted. But as of today, he is still missing.

It seems while this old man was missing, another old man was found lost and taken to the police station. But the police did nothing and eventually after sitting there for a few hours, the old man wandered off again.

We have long lamented about the sad inefficiency of our police. Corruption abound and horrific indifference is not uncommon. But this takes the cake.

But wait. There’s more.

Last night we went to two petrol stations at our area on the way home. It was Shell and Petronas. Both refused to put up the poster with the old man’s picture and contact person’s details. We were appalled and disgusted. They said that their management don’t allowed people to simply put posters up.

Ok. There was a McDonald’s next to Petronas. We went there.

They wouldn’t allow us to put up one poster! Their excuse was that there were children about and it wasn’t nice.

Fuck ‘it wasn’t nice’!!! This was a missing old man! It could easily have been one of these children’s grandfather! Moronic assholes!! And this is the company that was so generously donated money to the Cleft Lip Children’s Society!! Hypocrites!

You know what I’m gonna do? I’m gonna write a letter to the management and tell them to stop being hypocritical and to not bother with doing charity, when they are not charitable enough to allow a poster of a missing person up on their notice board!!

I’m boycotting McDonald’s.

* * *

Ok. Wrote letter. Faxed letter.


To Whom It May Concern:

Disappointment over attitude of staffs at BSD branch

On 12 December 2004, Sunday, at approximately 7pm, I went to the McDonald’s where I lived, the BSD area (rather isolated, granted), to ask the staff if I could put up a poster of a missing 70-year-old man who has Alzheimer’s Disease. This man has been missing for nearly a week now. I am one of those who are trying to help locate this man, whose family are frantic.

Imagine my disappointment when the staff said that I could not put up the poster, and was given the lame excuse that there were children about.

Given that McDonald’s is giving aid to Malaysian children with cleft lip and palate, I am disappointed to hear such an excuse. After all, this old man could have been any of these children’s grandfather!

I only managed to ask this one branch of McDonald’s. I am optimistically sure, that not all branches would have given me this kind of excuse and not allowed a missing person’s poster to be put up.

My friends were also disappointed to hear about this. I am just writing in to tell whoever is in charge to think about educating all staffs, no matter where the branch is, on being charitable towards the less fortunate; and that includes a 70-year-old Alzheimer’s man.

Thank you for your kind attention.

sincerely,
xxx
(A very disappointed consumer of McDonald’s and who will reconsider being one after this episode)



Let's see how and whether they will respond to this.