Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Christmas 'excitement'

Ah… if I am allowed to use any word to describe my life and yet be a contradiction in itself, that word would be ‘Boring’.

Christmas has always been a sedate affair in my family; dinner, midnight mass, open presents. Case close.

This year it was totally… dead… it didn’t feel Christmasy at all!! Nevertheless, there must be some ‘excitement’ stirred by her.

24th Dec – Friday
Chinese mass was at 8pm. English mass was at 11pm.

We were standing outside the church, waiting for the Chinese mass to finish, at 9pm.

Mom had gone down first to see if she could ‘book’ seats.

When I had parked the car and walked towards the church, she was standing outside, talking to a lady, who was also waiting for the English mass, who eyeballed me when I approached them.

Okay…


After saying ‘hi’ and ‘merry christmas’, I stood one side with my brother, and were sorta singing along to the Chinese hymns in English, when I heard little snippets of the conversation.

“… oh, she’s 28 this year…”

“…oh, he’s 32 this year…”

“… can be considered quite good already…”

“… ah, must be a good girl… so fair and so…”

“…so does she….”

“… oh, she is still single… why? … she says it’s because no one wants her…”

Laughter ensued, as I was shocked that my mother, MY MOTHER, actually told a perfect stranger, STRANGER, that I was single and that no one wanted me!!!

“… must introduce my son to her then…that would be good, eh?…”

Speak for yourself, lady!!

When the people finally milled out of the church and we went and sat down, my mom whispers in my ear.

“That lady wants to introduce her son to you.”

“I heard!! Did you have to tell her that nobody wanted me?”

“Seems he’s still single, even at 32… and he’s an engineer…”

“Mm-hmm…”

“And he doesn’t drink and smoke…”

“Mmm…”

“So you wanna….?”

No, mom, I don’t wanna. In fact, it would be good if you didn’t tell strangers that nobody wants me, hence my single status!!!

After the mass, as we walked out, she suddenly stopped and said, “Supposed to introduce the two of you so that you can make friends…”

“Walk, mom, walk!”