Sunday, December 19, 2004

One of my many blessings

I had a thoroughly wonderful time last night at my senior writer’s house. He had called for a House-warming-cum-Christmas get together with his friends and (ex) colleagues at his new apartment. He had just moved in a couple of weeks ago.

I had not seen him for 6 months, since the Sarah Brightman concert, and so was looking forward to seeing him again.

Usually I would be hesitant to join any gatherings becos I am wary of the kind of people who would be there. Basically, anti-social me is afraid of feeling out of place and odd with other people and ending up sitting by herself.

But since this was my senior writer, who is the most wonderful and sweetest person I’ve ever felt grateful in my short and blighted life to know, I was sure that the people who were gonna be there, would be just as lovely as he was. If you met him, you would know what I mean.

And that was so the case.

There were people from the different phases of his life; school, high school, university, and work. And they were all fun, warm, funny, and lovely people. We talked about how we all met him. I met him at an interview that neither of us got, and again when I joined his company. Where he taught me to lie and cheat about where I went (for interviews), to bluff the way I write my articles, and he also encouraged me to join the education line.

Towards 11-ish, some people left, and there were only five of us remaining; his high buddy, uni buddy, ex-colleague, me and him. Totally cosy and comfortable with each other. I can only say that they were totally delightful creatures. Laughed and teased him and his two buddies as we poured over his photographs. I was surprisingly sober (had some wine and vodka) and was all the more glad to be there to enjoy the moment. We all said we should do this more often, with less people, like then, after all it was his own place now. If I had my own place I would certainly have more gatherings with my friends too. So waiting for that day to come…

I left around 2.30am. Reluctantly. Senior Writer said I could stay the night. But I still had my translation to finish for submission on Monday, so I declined. Besides, he had no extra bed or mattress! His buddies laughingly reminded me of this lacking. I gave him a gimlet stare at his offer.

Since I was unfamiliar with the location, his buddies offered to lead me out to where I could turn off to go home. Like a celebrity convoy, one led me, while another took the rear to ensure that I didn’t stray. So sweet! Like my Senior Writer. sigh…

Days like these I count my many blessings, in the shape of kindred spirits and charming acquaintances that could become potential good friends.