Saturday, January 29, 2005

You call yourself a marketing manager? My ass!

Been rather busy with work. Because we are trying to close the mag before CNY. So have to arrange interviews with some health experts and source for replacement of this idiotic writer who told me on the deadline that she couldn’t write one article for me after all. "Sorry." I’m like… excuse me, this is the second time you’re doing this to me!

And this morning just before I had to go out for my interview with the pharmacist, my stupid MM had to be moronic and idiotic.

See. I had seen the PR who wanted to propose an article for one client, and had another proposal for another client to join the mag for a promotion. Which is great, after all, the client was asking us themselves; that showed real interest.

So I happily told her, ‘Great, I shall forward you the formal letter that explains the mechanics to doing a promotion in our mag.’ And I head back into the office to inform my editor and the MM about the conversation. Yesterday.

And this morning, I had to read her email, saying,

"J, it’s good that you are helping us, however, we have some concerns. We don’t want to give free pages, we want them to PAY $$ to come into our mag. I understand that they have a big budget and so shall push them to come in with Ads, not free promo pages. But thank you for helping us source promos, please give us the contact, and we shall follow-up, and keep you in the loop."

I’m like… Hello! Client willing to give FREE products to readers, so ACCEPT the promo!!? And besides, the deadline for promos on your marketing side is fast approaching and we still have nothing!!

I was so pissed. Wait, still am. But looking at it in another perspective now, of course. SHE thinks that they have budget, they are willing to spend.

Well, if I can find out that they are not interested in going into magazines with Ads, what makes you think that YOU can make them come in?! If I, the writer, who doesn’t go out to look for sales, can find out that they are NOT doing any Ads, with ANY mags… why don’t you, the MARKETING MANAGER, know that they are not going to come with Ads, so accept the promos!! After all, readers love FREE promos!

I don’t know what she’s doing as a marketing manager. She obviously don’t know her stuff.

My editor wasn’t very happy either. I told her, don’t let me catch her, coming to me later, saying that they cannot find any promos after all so could I please talk to the pr again to come in with promos. I’m not going to do it. It’s embarrassing enough that I have to tell the pr next week that we don’t want the client to come in with promo after all, and if you want me to approach them again later, I’m sorry, I’m not doing it cos I have my own pride. You want them in later, you get them yourself. I’m not helping out with looking for promotions and freebies for you anymore.

Can’t stand to be in her presence for more than a minute! Seeing her just makes me mad already.