Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Christmas fun unplugged

25th Dec – Saturday onto 26th Dec - Sunday
Woke up and got recruited to doing household chores. I don’t like holidays sometimes because this is when mom makes us clean up the house. I made lunch, then after a short rest, I got ready to make sushi for a potluck dinner at my senior writer’s place.

Took me 2 hours to finish, then I did a quick change and flew off.

And since it was small, it was cosy, and we had a blast. Laughing and chatting. There were some unexpected guests of two others, but they turned out to be totally hilarious and good sports.

We ended up playing Truth or Dare and it soon become some sexual confession session. I had to admit a few things which I will not mention here cos it’s too embarrassing. And we had a few bonding moments, for some of us had an opportunity to unburden their chests of some things, which include an unhappily married woman of 35 with 2 kids (I hate her already cos she’s slim and fit), a 23 yr old who was molested when she had a motorbike accident, and a 32 yr old who had recently broken up with her boyfriend of 5 years.

Ended up going home at 4am. Despite the four bottles of wine, I was sober as a churchmouse, and cheerful as a bell.

Nearly reached the toll that would allow me to hit home, a call came from the house. But I couldn’t answer it cos I didn’t put on the handsfree. So I left it. When I was in the parking lot, she called again. I answered.

“I’m in the parking lot.”

She hung up without a word.

I unlocked the door and saw her sitting on the sofa reading. She didn’t say a word, but I knew she was pissed because her breathing was fast and shallow.

No amount of telling her that I was alright, that there was good food and good company, that I didn’t drink and drive, well, technically I didn’t cos I drank lots of water and soya after the fourth bottle, and that I didn’t do this kind of thing often!

“A lot to talk, huh? You were there from 8, 9, 10, your mouth not tired, is it?”

No, shouted my head. But I couldn’t say it outloud. Chinese have a saying, ‘Talk more, get more trouble.’ So I kept quiet.

“I’m not old fashion.”

Yeah, right.

“But you’re a girl, and girls don’t stay out that late. 4am? Might as well have a sleepover.”

As if you would agree to me sleeping over at a guy’s house?!! Hello!!

“You are not doing this again, as long as you stay under my roof.”

Fine. Whatever. It’s your roof, you pay for the apartment, fine.

So no more 4am fun sessions with my friends.

I’m not too pissed and sad now. I’m writing this a day after it’s happened. Many a times I’ve written in the heat of anger and passion. I think sometimes it’s good that I wait out before writing about it. But not too often though. I need to vent somehow. Anyhow, I did vent it out to my senior writer in an email.

Dinner came and she had to put aside her unhappiness with me cos my cousin brother and wife came up from Spore with MY FIRST NEPHEW for a short holiday and as an unspoken favour for me cos I couldn’t go down to see them all for Christmas. Which was great, cos he is soooo cute!

I am his ‘bieu gu’. Chinese have such proper titles for the different family relations; my mom’s side never followed, but my dad’s did. But apparently my cousin’s wife’s family have observed this Chinese custom, and she was figuring out what my nephew should be calling me, as proper.