Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Ju

I must state something very clearly for the record. I don’t go to concerts. I don’t go to big crowd events if I can help it.

Sarah Brightman and Secret Garden don’t count. They’re in a class of their own.

But I absolutely do not go to those concerts or fan club meetings that young giddy goat gurls love to go to, where they will be screaming their lungs out, and mayhaps, throw their panties and g-strings onto the stage.

Yet for the love (I don’t know what else to call it – it must be love) of a friend, I found myself taking a drive to the train station, parking my car for RM5, and going down to KLCC on LRT, to join those screaming giddy goats.

And during that 35 min ride down to the heart of KL madness, I recalled knowing him, the things that he used to do, the things we used to do together, the things he did that drove me nuts, and the things that we (my best friend and I) did to drive him nuts.

And I planned on embarrassing him on stage. I knew they would have 'Question-and-Answer' sessions, so I prepared the questions in my head.


Compere (C): So, what question would you like to ask Bachelor No.13?

Me: Well, it’s a two-tiered question: First, what is your ideal gurl of your dreams, and second, if your mother and your dreamgurl were drowning, who would you save first?

C: Now that’s a tough one, which do you think he’ll say he’d save?

Me: Well, back in the old days when we first talked about it, he said that he would save his gurlfren.

C: Really? Would it be different this time?

Me: I don’t know. That’s why I’m asking.

C: But surely you have an idea who he would save?

Me: I wouldn’t dare presume what he will do, cos he can be pretty unpredictable and contradictory.

C: What else can you tell the public about Bachelor No.13? Tell them why they should vote him.

Me: Ok. You know how guys hate to be around gurls who cry?

C: Yes, I do.

Me: Well, he not only was there, but he stuck around. It happened in Perth when we were there for our final year of uni. At night we used to sit around and talk and really get to know each other then. You really get to know each other then, cos that’s when you see the good and bad.

And one night, (my best friend and I shared a room) we started talking about our family. I think it started out with why we didn’t miss family as much as he did. Then we both told him about our background. And we really told him everything, especially the bad stuff. We started crying cos we were so emotional. And we were bawling. And he stood there, looking at us with this look on his face, and then he went and sat next to my best friend, and put an arm around her.

Even as I was crying, I realized all this at the back of my mind, and noted that while he looked absolutely terrified to be there with us crying, he remained and sought to console us. At the back of my mind, I was laughing because here was a guy, who wanted to bolt and looked it, yet stayed behind.

And when he turned to console me next, then and there, I knew that this was a gem to keep for life. I knew that this was a guy who would endeavour to help, with all his might, with all his generous heart, if he could.

C: Does this guy have any flaws at all?

Me: Of course! No one’s perfect! He can be irritating at times.

C: Give me an example.

Me: Oh dear… so many…. (laugh) Well, nobody’s perfect, he’s just a little too paranoid for my liking. He used to bug us about timing, assignments, and such. But what really irritated us then was that he would put his gurlfren on top of the list, I mean, give her absolute priority, and conveniently forget about everyone else!

C: That’s not a flaw.

Me: I guess so, but sometimes that attitude would drive us friends nuts…

C: Ok, last comment. What reason would you give the public to vote him?

Me: If you are down, you can always call him, even at 3am…

C: Really?

Me: Yes, his mobile is on 24 hours. But I’ve never called him at that ungodly hour before. I’m afraid he would kill me. But my one fond experience is this, I called him one evening in a very down mood, just to chat with him. Though I never told him what bothered me, he knew I was very down. And so during the whole phone call he made stupid jokes and crazy comments. I never laughed so much. We didn’t ‘talk’ - he was making jokes, I was laughing. I went to bed smiling. The next morning my mom looked at me funny. She asked if I was okay. I asked her why. She said that I was laughing in my sleep.


I love you, Ju. I don’t know if you’ll win the award, but to me, you have been, and always will be, The Most Eligible Bachelor, in my heart. Always.