Thursday, March 24, 2005

Meowing and scratching

8pm
Lots of noises in the box.

Jack: let me out, let me out.

Ash: meow…….

Jack: (scratching box lid) let me out!

Ash: Meow…….


9pm
Jack bumps head against lid, which opens slightly.

Ash: meow?

Jack: let me out please…. (scratch scratch)

Ash: I want mommy…

Jack: Mommy ain’t here. We have to get to her.


10pm
Ash: I don’t think we can get out.

Jack: We have to try. Let’s bump heads together.

THUD.

Ash: er… I think they put something heavy on the lid.

Jack: (gives up) Ok, we might as well sleep… we’ll see her tomorrow I’m sure.


6.30am
Momma Babs: Ash, will you please hurry up? I want to be off before that crazy human comes back.

Ash ignores her and continues to gorge himself with tuna.

Jack: Mommy, play with me.

Momma Babs: (resigned) I already am. Have you managed to catch my tail yet? (swishing tail)

Jack: (pounces on thin air) No! Stay! Don’t move!

Momma Babs: (muttering) As if… Ash! Have you finished already? Your brother Jack was done hours before. (goes into box)

Ash: (mouth full) Mom… you are (munch-munch-munch) crowding me … in here.

Jack: Mommy! Mommy! Here they come!

* * *
I was peeping through the peephole to see how Momma Babs was treating them. But she seems to still want them despite so much human contact.

This morning was the last morning I will be feeding and medicating them. Ash is very lively now, he even meows very loudly when I was medicating Jack and he was in the box waiting his turn.

It was great to look at them and feel the satisfaction of having nursed them to health. For someone who hasn’t had a pet cat in all her life, I think I did pretty well handling them. Sort of prepares me when I start my animal haven later in life. So now I know how it is to medicate squirming cats... (smile)

When I'm in Australia, I'll definitely keep one!