Monday, March 21, 2005

New Kit Sitter on the Block

I don't know whether I'm stupid, foolish, or hopeful... I hope I know what I'm doing...

I just finished handling two straycats and their mother the whole evening.... don't know if I should be upsetting nature...

Ok ok... let's start from the very beginning....

Had just returned from dinner outside and noticed this mothercat guarding a kitten in the middle of a parking lot. It seemed to be shivering. We just chalked it up to a wet kit.

But then the car owner came back and was about to drive straight into her lot, when the mothercat hissed and ran, but the kit didn't budge.

I ran and grabbed the kit. Saw that it was blind and shivering. Then noticed another kit not too far off, shivering also, but had red-rimmed eyes.

Was so afraid for them both that I took them to find a vet. But the vet had gone home. Only the assistant was around. She said that the first wasn't blind, only afflicted with cat flu. Asked me if I was going to take care of them.

I couldn't think. I still don't know if I'm going to take care of them, what with my mom hating cats and all. But I said, give me the antibiotics for a few days, and I'll see what I can do. She said I could give them to PAWs later.

I brought the two kits back home. Tried to feed them a little food and milk, but they didn't stomach it. So I just left them to sleep. But my best friend was telling me that I should give one back to mommy, otherwise she'll move on, and leave me with two kits. So I gave her back the one less sick, the other one was so sick it didn't budge at all when I moved the box and took its brother out. Both are males.

I left some food and milk for them both. The mothercat meowed a bit. But I hope that she doesn't move the kit, so that I could medicate him once before I leave for work tomorrow morning. I'll be leaving the sicker bro at home. Can't take leave off work... wish I could.

Poor little kit still sleep in his box... hope he will be alright for the night... it's only cat flu... lots of straycats live through it, no? He should be alright....

*crossing fingers*