Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Working culture sucks

It’s a strange thing working nowadays. Either there’s something seriously wrong with our culture, our generation, or the way our working environment is evolving, or degenerating!!!

I feel strange working right now, because more often than not, I find myself unconcerned with what management thinks of proper working attitude. Well, more concerned that I am unconcerned at all. And I’m not the only one feeling this way.

Ever since that recent stunt my management has pulled, I’ve been nonchalant about working hours. In a few ways.

- I don’t care if I don’t reach the office at 9am.
- Having said that, I don’t bother to make sure to replace the missing time after work.
- If I feel too tired or sleepy, I just walk in at 9.30 or at the absolute latest, 10am; but I’ve only done that once.
- Then I leave at 5.30pm sharp.
- I don’t care that lunch is 1 hour; it’s when I feel it’s time.
- Since I cannot relieve my boredom or mental block online, I now read my novels anytime at work; I don’t even care who sees me doing it.

It’s their fault. Who asked them to be petty and childish?

I don’t think I’m too much. After all, did they take notice the times I used to come to the office at 7.30am and would be doing research at 8am? Did they notice when I stayed back on Saturdays to rush articles? Did they notice me going out of my way to interview a doctor back in my hometown and did not claim the toll and milege? Did they notice when I took the initiative to help marketing when it isn’t my job?

I don’t think I was asking too much for annual increment. But if they think that I’m not doing enough for them, they can jolly well fire me. Even better, man. I get to get an early break and I still get paid. My best friend A. is feeling the same way now. Hence she doesn’t even care how she sounds when she speaks impatiently to her superior every now and then when she’s feeling harassed.

But I don’t understand why this management (I’m sure they’re not the only ones so petty) is so un-management-like. Have they no idea that they are forcing good staff to leave because of their behaviour?

Ah well, when I leave, I’ll be skipping my way out. I have no regrets. I’ll definitely be sure to use the phone to the maximum. The printer. The photocopy machine. Anything else I can use…..?

But I believe that the working culture here in Msia is going to the dogs. Employers need to have some form of training before they make themselves management, I feel. Employees won't feel so 'left-to-slave-at-the-slaughterhouse' so much if such training were conducted.

On a lighter note, I had ice-cream today. Twice. So I'm feeling rather happy and content inside. *purr*