Friday, July 01, 2005

I want to be closer to my brother

I’ve always pondered on the incidence of people being closer to extended family members, such as cousins, in-laws, but never so with their own siblings. I’ve always found it to be true but sad, and have tried to attain a closer relationship with my own sibling. But have failed to do so.

The world is a small place now and human relationships can’t help but be more intertwined and complicated.

Today I had lunch with my newfound cousin and her parents. My impression of them were deeper than the others, though admittedly little anyway. But I’ve found them very good company, good people. My cousin especially, who is only 18, bubbly, cheerful like the sun and restless like a jay. Her father, my father’s closest cousin, was an amiable fellow. Her mother serene and full of smiles.

Besides this cousin, I found another cousin who is equally boisterous. Certainly I could not have found a more happy and companionable pair. And they have taken to me just as excitedly.

This other cousin has admitted that he is not close to his sister.

My uncle has admitted that he was very close with my late uncle.

And while I am not very distant with my own brother, I found that I am more familiar with my other cousin. I would love to have a closer and intimate relationship with my brother, because he is after all, my only sibling, and when my parents are gone, I’ll have no real family but him. I am not that naïve in thinking my friends or close cousins will always be there for me. And so I am grateful to have a brother. While he does drive me crazy with his behaviour, I’ve accepted and also embraced the idea of him living with me full time. I can see us living together in the future. I may or may not have a partner then, with children, but at least, I can see us making a life together. Thank God he’s independent. At least I don’t need watch over him like an eagle… just like a dog, that’s all. As long as he has work and he enjoys his cartoons, movies, eating and going out occasionally, I don’t think I’ll have much problems living with an autistic sibling.