Monday, September 19, 2005

2 weeks and counting

I’ve been here for 2 weeks and 3 days already. And though it’s only a short time, it feels like ages!!! Partially I know this feeling is because I’m really not a person to idle around doing nothing, and partially I know it’s because I have not gotten a positive word about any of my job applications. So other than doing job searches online and going out with my aunt and uncle, I really don’t do much.

But I have been going for badminton with my cousin (*groan* my arm and thigh…) and I went to the Melbourne Show with 3 of his friends! Photos will come later once they have emailed me the pictures from their digital. I am looking forward to that.

I went on Sunday, after a discussion with my cousin’s friends during supper after the badminton game on Friday evening. I feel great, and grateful, because they are so friendly and have welcomed me into their company and when we started talking about the show and who hasn’t gone, they started making plans to go that very weekend itself, with no hesitation to including me, even though my cousin wasn’t in the least bit interested.

In the end there were 4 of us, and a really Asian motley crew we were; 1 Chinese (from Beijing), 1 Japanese, 1 Korean and 1 Malaysian. It was so cool. By motley I meant the interesting mish-mash we were. The Chinese gurl had migrated with her family to Australia when she was 9 years old and speaks like a regular Aussiefied gurl. The Japanese too had migrated with his family when he was 10 years old and his English maintains this really cute and authentic Japanese accent to it. The Korean was actually adopted by German parents and was on an exchange program to study one semester here and she’ll be returning to Germany this December. And me the Malaysian with the Aussie PR.

I’m going to miss the Korean gurl a lot because she’s really sweet and open and curious about Australia and the rest of us who are not obviously Australian by birth. But I think we will continue to keep in touch, cos at the supper itself we were all exchanging MSN Ids! Now they are all in my list and me in theirs.

We had such great fun at the Show. Ate so much. Oh, at least we managed to try Emu, Kangaroo and Crocodile meat!! The Kangaroo tasted a bit like beef, the Crocodile tastes a little like pork, while the Emu tastes like something else that I can’t really describe it akin to!! We watched a cow competition that was ending, but Qian (the Chinese) and I found it fascinating because I observed that the cows were so well-trained when their owners gave them silent taps. And I found out later that Lena (the Korean) took a picture of us staring at the cows in obvious rapture! Hahahahaa…. There were wine and chilli tasting counters. The ‘Hot’ weren’t so hot, frankly. And I nearly choked at the Dry Gin tasting, but as I walked away, I found that I liked the ‘burn-down-the-throat’ sensation. I made a mental note to get this one when an alcoholic binge is planned later… the hats weren’t so funky this year though, I thought….

Oh, besides the rejections via email and letter (yes, I got a honest-to-god proper letter that says 'sorry' - blagh!) I went for one interview for a part time job 3 days ago. It was to waitress at an entertainment center. They’ll call me next week to confirm anything. It’s night time work though, so that means I will be getting a car should this job be confirmed. I’m thinking if this pulls through, then all I need is a day-time job and then everything should fall into place… Please, God!!!