Saturday, October 22, 2005

Insomnia

I haven't been sleeping well. My sleeping mode seems to have altered overnight. From one that allowed me to sleep deeply from (even) 3am to 11am, and feeling rested, to a sleep that is constantly disturbed, with me waking at the slightest door opening and shutting, heavy footsteps that never used to wake me from my slumber, and waking up 2 hours well before my 7-hour time frame.

It would only be a matter of time before I get a migraine one of these days. I’m only grateful that this neighbourhood is quite peaceful, well away from the main road, and so I’m not bothered at all with raving cars and cranky engines.

I can’t imagine why my cousin doesn’t find this neighbourhood a good location.

My cousin was saying this last night after a birthday dinner and drinking session at his fren’s place:

“Our 3-bedroom house (in the Dandenong area) costs 220k and so does the 2-bedroom townhouse (in Clayton) costs around the same, perhaps slightly more like 230k or 240k. But when you think about how inaccessible our area is (only 1 bus route to the nearest train station, but come weekends you can’t go out via public transport) with no train station, bus station or shopping marts nearby (you have to drive out), it is much better, more worth it to buy a place that has all those things, even if it costs slightly more. Something which my parents didn’t think about.”

True, this area isn’t near the train station or bus depot, we have to drive or take 1 bus out. Weekends are more problematic, hence you need a car. But at least the bus does go to the train station – albeit it is Zone 3 and would cost you more to get a ticket to the city, but that’s Ozzie for you!

True, this area isn’t walking distance to a shopping centre (it is if you walk 30 minutes out to Waverly Gardens) and it isn’t a hub with a lot more amenities than Clayton or Glen Waverly. But I believe my relatives chose it because they liked the peaceful neighbourhood and also because once you have a car, what’s your problem? Every household has at least 1 car.

There are certain areas that will succumb to… I don’t know what you call it… de-value?. Commercial areas like Clayton will certainly be enjoying real estate value for many years, especially with its large international portfolio. If I were a real estate agent, I’d be rubbing my hands in glee. Rich daddies’ children studying in Monash. Ooo… My pupils will turn into money dollar signs. Period. That’s the way it is.

While I understand where my cousin is coming from – that he wants to stay in a more upbeat area, with a lot more amenities and convenience, and close to his teaching place – I don’ envy him trying to buy a house in that area. It’s gonna cost. It’s definitely gonna be a good area to maintain years down the road for selling-out later if he and his wife decides to move somewhere else, but right now, I’m just glad I’m living in this area.

The neighbourhood is more suburbia, with (seemingly!) good people, no druggies, no hooligans, no horn trigger-happy maniacs, just a few kids who like to gather outside to practice at skateboarding (just outside my house!), a few kids who like to call out ‘Hey!’ to me when I walk out to return videos, beautiful flowers in the gardens I walk pass, a family of cat and kittens who tumble playfully in the garden and mommycat deign to allow me to pet her precious(s), nice people who smiles at you even when you unwittingly (ok, stupidly) stand in front of their gates thinking they were going the next house instead!

All in all, I like this area. But I really must get a camera and take pictures of all those gorgeous flowers (there’s this garden with white roses the size of a boxer’s fist! Ooo!!) and the neighbourhood houses ( I love houses – wish I could go in and see!!).

Ok, back to my sleeping problem. I think it started when my cousin asked me this:

“Are you sure you don’t want to get a car now? Because the only time you go out is with my parents and me and the occasional you taking the bus out but you still need someone to pick you up from the train station. You say you want to get a car only when you get a job. What if you only get one in 6 months’ time, so meanwhile you’ll gonna stay stuck in the house? Can you hack it, this kind of living for that long? Think about it carefully.”

Still thinking and apparently not sleeping too.