Saturday, April 30, 2005

A medley of reflections

Work sucks when you have stupid heads
You know, sometimes you wonder what people have done to become the person they say they are. Like, my marketing manager. I know I’m giving her too much air-time on my blog. But I seriously, seriously, think that she is a poor excuse of a marketing manager.

A society contacted me to propose working together for a different health event-cum-roadshow next year. The great thing about this event would be the affiliation with this society, a government university and the MINISTRY OF HEALTH!

And she turned it down.

Her excuse being, that there wasn’t enough time to plan an event like this, and that we don’t have enough manpower.

Er, excuse me, but it’s for next year April? And we can manage since we are planning this early?

I tell you, it is examples like this you wonder how people like her get to be MANAGER, while people like me are still getting peanuts and holding a lesser title. It doesn’t make sense.

Don’t laugh at the people who play silly games at shopping malls…
Because they could be trying to make their child feel more confident and less self-conscious.

I had just interviewed this lady yesterday who had a daughter born with Profound Hearing Loss. This is one strong, noble mother.

To help her daughter seek help, she literally scrambled around and made a fool of herself, to get her daughter to accept her condition and to be confident.

A few times at the shopping centers where there are games and activities held, the typical Malaysian would just stand there and say ‘No’ and laugh at those who participate. She asked her daughter if she wanted to try a game that was catching balls falling from the top in a transparent bubble-cage. The little gurl naturally said no because she was shy and didn’t want people to laugh at her hearing aids. ‘But I’m going to play. You sure you don’t want to play?’ The gurl still refused. So she went and played, alone. The next time they went to the shopping centre, her daughter joined her.

I’m equally guilty of being the typical Malaysian because I’ve seen lots of people who seemingly look silly playing those games and have mocked them in my insensitivity.

I know better now.

Really count your blessings, for you do have many
I know that by the time I set foot on Aussie soil, that I will have acknowledge that my migration was made possible by many people, and not just my mom and my relatives for sponsoring me.

I proposed a plan to partially support myself and my family while I’m in Aussieland by contributing Australian articles to the Malaysian mags. To make this work, I also will need to supply pictures, which means I need a digital camera. A digital would now be necessary, it would be part of my bread and butter.

So I started looking around for good, affordable deals. I can’t afford an expensive one.

And naturally I kept my best friend S updated. And she said that I shouldn’t waste money so soon, when I haven’t made any money yet, that she will pass me an old digital camera that belonged to her brother. So happened that she had a conference in KL and so I met up with her to collect it. I said that I would buy it from her, but she refused to tell me the price of the digital, saying that I can pay her later.

Then and there, it struck me that, I would have many people to thank for, for helping me to make this migration come true. And as I sat there looking at her giving me the camera, I was just overwhelmed.

And I could never, never, ever be able to express my gratitude enough to these people who are helping me.

I understand
Today I understand something that I didn’t before.

When my sales exec colleague resigned, she kept badgering me to leave as well. But I told her that I wasn’t interested to leave yet, as it was too short of time. I really wanted to stay at least a year in my magazine.

Now that I’m leaving, and I see the way that my heads are treating my graphic designer – like a low-wage labourer – I’m really angry and am striving to get her another job so that she can get out. But she’s not interested. Cos she’s trying to spend at least one year in the magazine. And I was frustrated.

Today I finally understand how my sales exec felt, how my graphic designer feels now.

Yup.