Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Trocks Rule!!

The ballet - The Trocks - was hilarious. It's basically ballet, which I suspect, (since I'm no expert at ballet) that the ballet moves were alot more masculine... because these "ballerinas" were men, their ballet steps seem a little 'off' to me, probably because there are a set of standard steps for the gurl ballerinas, and another set for the men baller... ballerinos?? ballerats??? I dunno!! But anyhow, they were graceful… until they purposely stumble, lose sense of direction, clash into each other, fall flat on their faces, and throw everyone else into disarray!! The crowd loved them! I loved them!! They were good, they were funny, and they were cute! They killed the Prince (in the Swan Lake story); they killed the Swan (a separately created story), but resurrected Don Quixote!! And I think they did an impromptu or new act, albeit a short one, because of the Melbourne Cup (happening right now), with the Dying Swan coming to life again by reappearing from the curtains, slinking onto the stage, wearing a big black gauzy hat!!! It was hilarious!!! When the crowd gave 'her' catcalls, she became shy and gestured to everyone, like she was saying, 'Aw... shucks, folks, dun embarrass me!!' Oh, we all cracked up.. it was good, it was good... I’m glad I paid $48.15 for it.... it was great.

The Nano meet - not so good.... after the show I went over the meeting place, I had told them that I would be joining them after it, and I think I was the last one to appear so they waited for me.. but when I arrived, I dunno who was more stunned, me that there were so many of them - all caucasians, the weird thing was this was the first time I’ve been so nervous in strange company because I’ve never been before! - or them, who probably expected a caucasian and they didn’t know what to say. Needless to say that I didn’t really contribute much to the group, though I tried, partly because I couldn’t understand half of what they were saying the whole time and couldn’t find a chance to jump in, and partly because I dun think they knew how to initiate some form of enquiry in my direction. In fact, they never once asked me anything. Where did I come from, what did I do, why was I here, etc. Nothing. It was only when I asked one gurl (cos she seemed obviously less fitted to the group) what she did that she tentatively asked what I did. But she was still schooling, in the equivalent of our... Form 2 or 3. Young. There were 2 couples, one couple I gathered from the other couple's mentions, that they got together online!! Imagine that. I only ever knew one couple who met and married online - my senior - and they are still loving. Anyway, we adjourned to another location cos some were getting cold and wanted beer. So we walked to the city. Went to the place, that was an underground bar with couches to read and chill. Lots of cigarette smoking. I didn’t like the place though I concur that it had atmosphere. I didn’t stay long as I had to think abt transport, and also it felt increasingly uncomfortable for me to linger when I had nothing much to contribute, and they didn’t feel incline to get to know me, and I think, after trying to chat up this guy nearest to me, that he didn’t really understand what I was saying, which made me very conscious about the way I was speaking - maybe my Malaysian tones were too difficult to decipher simple English words? Whatever happened to the universally understood, global language of the commoner?? Did I lose my vernacular skill suddenly after laughing too much at the ballet?? Was it me or them?

So I left. And though they have planned a Wednesday meet, I might not join because it's going to be expensive to travel to the city on a weekday, and I have a driving knowledge test (by the way) on Wednesday morning and so I might not go out anyhow. And also, a purely gurly or healthy thing, I dun quite look forward to being in a smoky environment, no matter how the company might (or not) be stimulating.

On the train I was fairly discouraged. Did I do something wrong? Or not do something right? Was it that I didn’t say anything that made them feel more friendly with me? Should I have prepared an introductory speech or something when I first made my appearance to them? What could I have done to feel more comfortable in their presence?

I was quite down when I reached my station and waited for transport. But I carefully schooled my expression when my uncle arrived. Wouldn’t do to have him suspect that I didn’t enjoy some part of my outing. He is already ‘talkative’ whenever I make plans to go out.

Anyhow, I decided to make myself happier the next day by going to watch Howl’s Moving Castle again. Yes, the second time. And I imagine I will go again the third time… cos I absolutely love it… I had a light bulb lit up in my mind after watching it the first time… I have an additional goal… I intend to write a script, a story that can be translated into a Miyazaki movie… no other producer will do… I have too many weird and ridiculous dreams in my arsenal to leave it lying in cobwebs and dust. It should be dug out and made into something fantastical, as it is fantastical anyway! Yes… *determined* … I have a dream…..

Today is the 1st of Nov… I better start writing… and I haven’t decided what to write yet!!! *gasp* …. Help, help, help…