Friday, August 06, 2004

Story of a gurl

Episode 487

The girl lingered a few more moments before she went into the bedroom.

She was lying in bed, head turned to the side, facing away from her.

She knelt down by the side, not too close, in case she decided to fling her hand out to slap her. She didn’t want to make it easy for her to touch her physically.

Lord, grant me strength.

“Please forgive me, ma. Please talk to me. I’m sorry I jeopardised our safety at night. I’m sorry I didn’t lock the door, put the chair in front of the door and latch the windows that night.”

Silence.

She drew in another breath.

“Please talk to me, ma. I’m sorry I put us all in danger like that. I promise to be more careful in future.”

She turned her head.

“How to talk to you? After one incident, you have to go create another incident to piss me off.” She turned her head back.

“I’m sorry, ma. I’m really sorry I didn’t do all those things that night. I will be careful in future.”

She turned her head again.

“You’re big now. Got wings, got feathers. You don’t give a damn about this house anymore. But I tell you this, as long as you are staying here under my roof, I don’t care if you don’t like my rules, you make sure that you don’t put the rest of us in danger at night. I don’t care if you are going away to another country, as long as you are still living here you obey my rules.” She turned her head back.

She couldn’t say anything for awhile. What could she say?

“It’s not that I don’t like your rules. I just forgot to lock the door, to put the chair in front of the door and to latch the window. I’m sorry. I will be more careful in future.”

She turned her head back.

“You better start giving me back money every month. Don’t think that you can just live here without paying a cent.”

“I have been putting money in your account.”

“What? Since when?”

“Since… I don’t remember. I’ve been putting into our joint account.”

“And didn’t it occur to you to tell me?”

“You wouldn’t take it, so I just put it in the account.”

“Why did you put it in?”

“For household expenses, for boarding and for food.”

“This is not your house. It’s mine.”

What to say? Nothing. The girl had learnt a long time ago that to say more would be to step more into trouble. Best to keep quiet. Stow it in. Don’t say anything.

“You better move out quick. I don’t want to see all this shit. No shit to see, a blind man’s eyes are cleaner.”

What to say? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.