Sunday, August 01, 2004

I, Exterminator

I declare an all-out war on roaches and shall start a whole new exterminating campaign on them tomorrow.

For the past 2 weeks or so, on alternative days, roaches have been scuttling out to greet us ‘good morning’ upon our rising. This greatly perplexed us because we couldn’t figure out their bolt-hole. And we checked and plugged every hole we found potential ‘roach bolt-hole’!

Finally I pulled out the stopper of one of the drainage holes and sprayed ‘Ridsect’ liberally. Immediately, 3 roach came bursting out! You can imagine the heavy artillery in terms of whacking and spraying we engaged in! I turned back to cover the hole. 2 more came out! Another round of whacking and spraying ensued. I blasted the pesticide down the hole at full blast and a few more came stumbling out dazed. By now I was tired of whacking, so merely stood and zapped the buggers like crazy. Dancing drunkenly, they struggled to hide in dark corners. I let them. By end of the day we would find them all on their back, wheezing to take their last breathe, legs twitching skyward, dreaming of distant rubbish dumps and rotten wastes that are forever out of reach. Muahahahahahahaaaa……

Did I mention that I hate roaches?

I don’t like mosquitoes too. But then who doesn’t?

This morning as the whole family was out on a marathon errand Saturday, a pesky mosquito somehow entered the car and was flying around. Irritated, I tried to swipe the ‘mossie’ but made the car swerve dangerously instead. There and then, I thought, how nice if we ended up crashing and dying in a car accident, and all my troubles would be dead and gone, even though I would be dead too. But then I quickly berated myself, because I believe in karma. Since this lifetime’s karma was prematurely ended, it will begin anew in the next lifetime, and I would be doomed to suffer the whole thing all over again. So I mentally kicked myself for thinking that and decided to leave the stupid mossie alone, least I get us all into an accident.

But today was really an eventful day. Well, it was not laidback, to be sure. After running all those errands we headed back for a short nap, before going out for a afternoon show called ‘In the mood’. It’s a musical of all those Big Ben era and Swing era songs. It was fantastic. I must brush up on my music knowledge. I had no idea that these songs which I’ve loved since young were between the 20s to 40s! Shame on me. So I’m gonna go look up more of these era songs.

What I also really liked was the theater. It was at ‘Panggung Bandaraya’ and it reminded me so much of the concert hall in Perth, I believe it was called the King’s or Queen’s Royal Concert Hall, where we watched ‘Odyssey’. Complete with wooden panelling that had typical cultural Melayu etchings, they were separated by velvet lined boards. It wasn’t large like an indoor stadium. It was like those chamber rooms of the old Regency era you always see on television. Cosy, yet regal. Rather bourgeois.

*yawn*

Just came back from a hair fashion show. Which was okay, only. Had to go because we had always been too busy to go before. This time, my colleagues and I thought that I had better go, because it was a Saturday night. The previous times we had excuses because they were all on weekdays. Liked some of the hairstyles. But practical me frowned on most of them. Because it’s so hard to maintain on a daily basis!!! I mean, I try to through life unobtrusive, because I hate being in the limelight. So I don’t think most of the hairstyles is feasible for daily living. Enjoyed some of the clothes. Now if only I had the body. All I want is the body! Who cares what you wear??! I turn green with envy whenever I see those slender bodies.

Yeah, I know. Dream on, babe!

Ok. Why don’t I go to bed dreaming I have a body that’s to die for! That would be the only way I can possess that kind of shape. Sigh…

p/s About the title: I've watched 'I, Robot'and liked it a great deal. Very intriguing and I found myself wishing I had a copy of Asimov's robot story to compare later. I liked the narrative of the intelligent robot and the idea that they can have dreams and start revolutions. Also the producer did not screw it up by creating a romance between Will and Calvin. Excellent movie.