Monday, July 26, 2004

The plaintive violin

 
I finally watched Schindler’s List and I cried at the end.

I couldn’t hold back the tears. It was so poignant, so touching. That the Jews made him a farewell remembrance token. That just before he left he could still berate himself for not thinking of ways to get more money. That he could break down and cry at his failure of not being able to save ONE more person. It was truly touching.

I can better appreciate the theme song now that I’ve seen the movie. My colleague had sent me the mp3 but to me it was just the violin moaning plaintively. Now I can feel the emotions, the fear, the joy, the hopelessness, the weariness, everything in it. Yes, I definitely appreciate it more now.

Side note: This is another popular movie that I only watch years later. The First was ‘Pretty Woman’, produced in 1991, and I watched it only in 1998. Seven years later. Now, Schindler’s List, produced in 1993, and only watched it now in 2004. Oy…