Monday, July 26, 2004

My review of 'The curious incident of the dog in the night time'

 
I finished reading ‘The curious incident of the dog in the night time’ by Mark Haddon.

I don’t know much about the autistic children, even though my brother is autistic. But I think it’s quite a good representation of autistic children’s behaviour. They do find certain things unpleasant that they don’t want to hear, see or feel. They do groan to shut out the world. They do rock their bodies to comfort themselves.

But I must say I found Christopher Boone’s attitude of wishing everyone was dead disturbing. I certainly do not like the image of little children wishing everyone was dead and that they ruled the world, in a sense. I do not like that they think they can hit anyone they don’t like, even if it’s because they don’t like a colour or a word or gesture.

It’s inconceivable, I guess. For a normal person to comprehend. But who are we to say what’s normal and what’s not?

It reminds me of the time, in KDU I think, when we were constantly debating, when someone said that one day, we, the normal people, might be the special ones, whereas the Special people will be the majority in the world. At that time, I felt it was cool and possible and not so inconceivable. Now, after reading this book, I’m slightly terrified. If all those were like Christopher, who felt he could hit anyone he didn’t like, then the world would be a scary place.

But I’m glad this book was written, and I hope that more will read it. This will make people understand about autistic children more. The language is simple, rather enjoyable and easy reading.

The only thing I didn’t really like was all those mathematical explanations! Hahahaaa…